Thursday, December 31, 2015

Printing, Sales and Newspapers

Newspapers have a rich history in the United States and all over the world.  Specifically in the United States, they provide information to the public about events and politics with a protection from government interference.  It is a huge responsibility and there are those who would say one side - conservative or liberal are not being given enough importance.

Regardless of your perspective about the content, the production of a newspaper is, as a former boss portrayed it - "a daily miracle".  What other industry takes the majority of their content from the public, organizes it, designs it neatly, produces 30,000 or more copies and delivers it to homes within 24 hours? 

You could say that radio, TV or the internet provide some of that content, but it isn't delivered to the place you live in tangible form like a newspaper is.  It is a huge production undertaking and one missed deadline in any department jeopardizes on time home delivery - and it happens every day of the week in some cases.

Many homes have a scrapbook where they cut out articles or photos of family members and keep it for years...can your ipad do that?

My role with newspapers began after working in printing for a few years.  I was hired to work with the print shop of my home town newspaper selling and managing the printing.  Over time I also began to fill that role for the newspaper side of the business as well.

I learned a lot about printing, meeting deadlines and selling.

Probably the most important aspect I learned about is relationships.  Terry Block used to stop by my office every week on Friday to shoot the breeze and see if we needed any of the supplies he sold.  It wasn't a high pressure sales visit, it was a friend coming to see if I was stocked up for the next week of business.  He had my business - I didn't buy anything from anyone else unless Terry's price was way too high or he didn't offer the item I needed.

Terry took care of me and I took care of Terry.

Who has your back?  Is there someone who prints for you now that "has your back" and looks out for your best interests?  (Keeping you making money, keeps them making money by the way) 

Look for a supplier that is on your team, cares about your product and goes the "extra mile" to help you when you are in a pinch, those relationships are mutually beneficial and they last!

No comments:

Post a Comment